Sunday, April 3, 2011

Becoming Owned

Through loads of heartbreak and many tears my husband and I found out that having a child would be an extremly difficult, costly, and lengthy process.  So, we decided to get a puppy to ease my screaming biological clock, now refered to as SBC.  It seemed like a pretty win win situation.  More pitter patter of feet with only one mouth to feed, plus we don't have to save for college!  We took some time to research breeds, meet the breeds of dog we were considering, and get ready for the lifestyle change.  This process took about 4 months then we finally agreed on the breed of a basset hound.  My husband had one as a child growing up, my really good friend has one currently, plus I just think they are the sweetest looking dogs in the whole world.  Now adoption vs buying a puppy?  Again, the SBC was in full swing, so buying a puppy won out real quick in that decision making.  I found a decent looking breeder that was 90 miles from my house online.  I talked to my vet before going to the breeder's house.  He gave me some fantastic advice to help me decide if the breeder was a good breeder, and to help me pick out the puppy for me.  I knew I wanted a girl dog and I knew that I would rather have a basset that wasn't tri-color.  Nothing wrong with the tri-colored babies; I just wanted to be even more different even than I already am.  My husband and I loaded up in our truck to head to Alexandria, LA to hopefully bring us home a puppy.  After getting lost only once along the way we made it to the breeder's house.  All I can say is wow.  The house itself was a nice regular house, but the yard and dog's area was fantastic.  Everything was nicely fenced, seperated, clean, healthly looking, and just a fantastic experience in all.  I ended up picking out a female who was considered a lemon color.  Honestly, I think she picked me out.  She came bounding right up to my husband and me like it was old hat.  The money handed over and the papers signed we had us a baby girl (although she was a little fuzzy). 

The car trip home.  It's very hard being a puppy

No comments:

Post a Comment